Friday, July 12, 2013

Tried a Tri Bike. Liked It.

I have been wanting to try a time trial/triathlon bike since 2007. I did one time trial in 2008 and while I did like it, I could not see my kids enjoying coming to that kind of race. They'd watch me go...... and awhile later watch me come back. In the meantime they could..... hmm.... play in the road? Sit in the car? I went to
NOT my bike. Mine for a weekend :-)
mountain bike racing for the family atmosphere. Now, I'm not thinking so much of racing (well, maybe just a little). When I had set my road bike up, I purchased a special seat post and clip-on aero bars so that on my long rides I could cheat the wind a little bit. However, I sit on my road bike so upright. I've always wondered what it would be like to ride an actual time trial bike. A bike made for cheating the wind. They look fast standing still!I decided a couple of days ago to just ask a local woman if I could try hers out. And she said yes!

Contemplating how to hug
that tree during a rest stop.
I spent some time last night fitting the bike to me and having TJ photograph my position on my road bike versus a time trial bike. Huge difference! I do wish I had longer legs, and perhaps the fact that I ride a 47cm
road bike and this is 51cm makes it so, but with the seat all the way down it's just about right.

This morning I got up with the sun, got ready, and hauled that bike north to a friend's house to set off on a 44 mile ride around the Rainbow Flowage. Beautiful sunshine, little to no wind, and a friend to ride with. Perfect!

We departed shortly after 6am. This friend of mine recently got a road bike for himself and it makes me happy to see someone else enjoying 2 wheels.

A few times during the ride I cut loose to see how the bike reacted and it was sooooo much fun! The bike just wants to go! Shifted flawlessly and rolled along so smooth, I felt like I was flying. Everything I imagined it would be and then some. I will have 1 more opportunity to ride the before I return it to it's owner and I am certainly looking forward to it. What a sweet ride.

Here is my friend, Crille, enjoying his new wheels:


No comments:

Post a Comment