Saturday, July 13, 2013

I Love 9 Mile

This weekend, rather than check out the racing action at the Subaru Cup, I decided to take the time to get comfortable on my new mountain bike. I experienced Achilles issues after a short ride the first week of June, and spent the rest of the month enjoying my road bike. July 4th, not yet recovered from my double century weekend, I hit the trail with Steve for a fun ride on a local trail. With the hundreds of miles I had put on my road bike, I expected my fitness level to support a hard and fast effort. Right out of the parking lot and not warmed up, I felt nervous about the roots and rocks. We rode 1.5 hours. Several times my heart was beating so fast I felt sick to my stomach. Afterwards, my Achilles were tight for 5 days. My body hurt all over! My hopes of any mountain bike racing this year were crushed, but I truly love road riding.

Wausau 24 is 2 weeks away. I wanted to ask my body one last time if this is the year I check 24 solo off of my bucket list. Last night we replaced my cleats, put gears on the bike, and adjusted the seat.

Off to 9 Mile this morning. I love that place.
Steve has skills! 
After a gentle warmup on the other side of Red Bud Road, I was starting to remember what I love about mountain biking. I feel so connected in the woods. I stopped a couple of times to make adjustments, and rode a pace I could sustain all day.

As I write this post, I am icing a swollen ankle (retrocalcaneal bursitis) but hopeful that with lots of foam rolling, yoga, and calf exercises I can overcome this and get back to single speeding my way around the woods.

No comments:

Post a Comment