Saturday, July 6, 2013

Pedaling Out of a Funk

I work this weekend. It just so happens today’s clients are near Minocqua, so I planned to take a road ride before work. I have been having a hard time falling asleep the past few days. When my alarm went off at 5:30am I had a throbbing headache, and felt in a bit of a funk. Taking ibuprofen is something I prefer to avoid, but I have had enough headaches to know I had better or my day would be miserable.  I did some chores around the house, gathered my things, and made a stop at the office before heading north. Parking at the Raven trailhead, I had a 35-37 mile route laid out. Woodruff Road – J – 70E – O – D – E – J – Woodruff Road. I rolled out and every crack in the road hurt my head. My body is not fully recovered from last weekend’s double century, but I wanted to get out and at least spin my legs.  It was nearly 8:30 when I started and the breeze had picked up. So, I pedaled along, a bit grumbly in my aching head. It’s hard to stay that way for long, though. Woodruff Road is bordered by old growth forest with rolling hills and lush greenery. It forms a canopy over the road for a portion. So beautiful! I turned onto Highway J and once again appreciated the generous shoulder labeled “Bike Lane”.  I saw other cyclists out enjoying the sunshine of the morning, and we would nod a

good morning greeting to each other. Hills, forests, and glittering lakes are abundant in the northwoods and I drank it all in. Shortly before Saint Germain I turned onto the paved bike path to avoid traffic on Highway 70. The trail twists around and on a straight stretch I saw an Osprey in it’s nest. I have been seeing them often this year. The trail started to have roller-coaster-style hills and that perked me up! I stopped for a photo on a bridge and realized it had really warmed up outside! One of the nice things about biking is that it has a built-in fan. Unless you stop! So in no time I was pedaling again. The trail took me almost all the way to Highway O. I saw a pretty serious looking female cyclist. I felt a bit of inspiration to ride into
the wind, and a little frustration with myself because she looked amazing in a sleeveless skin suit and I am nearly 20# heavier than I want to be, despite my efforts. Aaaanyway, Highway D is an old friend to me. I ride it often. I stopped for some photos by Rainbow Lake and by that time my mood had improved. I noticed the “Rainbow Lake” sign and smiled. With the clip-on aero bars my bike is darn near a unicorn. I was riding my unicorn past Rainbow Lake. How could I be in a foul mood?? I was feeling pretty good by then. When I turned onto E I had a
tailwind. I love tailwinds. E is very scenic. Aside from the jarring of the road bike going over cracks and how my head would rattle in my skull every time, I had pedaled out of my funk. I saw more cyclist out today than I ever have outside of an event, too! I mean cyclists with road bikes, wearing bike shorts and helmets. That is encouraging! I returned to Raven with 37 miles on the odometer and devoured a salad in the parking lot. Off with the bike gear, a quick cleanup, on with the scrubs and it was time to see clients, in a peaceful state of mind.









No comments:

Post a Comment